Bierstadt: In The Mountains Print
- Formerly titled Yosemite, this painting is now known to be a composite drawn from various sources. The massive cliff that appears at the left is a reconfiguration of Yosemite's El Capitan. Bierstadt did not intend it to be topographically faithful to any one site, but to express the mood of the western American landscape in general.
Albert Bierstadt (American, born Prussia, 1830-1902)
In the Mountains, 1867
- Oil on canvas, 36 1/2 x 50 1/4 in.
- Gift of John Junius Morgan in memory of his mother Juliet Pierpont Morgan, 1923.253
- Wadsworth Atheneum Museum of Art, Hartford, CT
- 11 x 14 print has an image size of 8 1/2 x 10 7/8 in.